1909 church bell removed from the former church and school building on Oct 4, 2018
On Thursday, October 4, 2018, Blessed Trinity’s 109-year-old church bell was removed from the bell tower of the former church and school building at 307 Leroy. She is now en route to the Verdin Bell Company’s facility in Cincinnati, OH where restoration work will take place. In the removal process, we discovered two errors in the parish’s recorded history of the bell. Engraving on the back side of the bell, not previously visible, revealed that the bell was donated by Helena Eckert (not Helen Eckard) and was named in honor of St. Helen (sorry, St. Cecelia). We are especially grateful to the building’s new owner, John Cozzarelli, and his employees for their assistance in removing the bell and very appreciative of everyone who has contributed funds for the project. The Blessed Trinity School Alumni solicited donations from their members as a gift to this parish this fall. When the restoration and repair work is completed, we hope to mount and display the bell on the parish grounds. Click HERE to see additional photos.
Father Victor blesses the new church sign on Trinity Sunday 2018
Celebrating Our Future Along With Our Past
On May 27, we combined an anniversary remembrance with Trinity Sunday’s celebration of our parish feast day. During the 10am Mass, we recognized those who have joined the parish in the last year and a half — so essential to our future — while also commemorating the 90th anniversary of the completion of our church building, dedicated by Bishop Turner on June 3, 1928. Click HERE to see more photos from the Mass, the blessing of the church cornerstone and our new sign, and the social which followed.
Rev. Mark Noonan (front left) and part of a group of more than 70 who visited our church on October 13, 2017.
We so enjoyed meeting and hosting Rev. Mark Noonan and parishioners from churches in Holley and Hilton, NY who visited our Landmark church on October 13. Thank you Father Mark for celebrating Mass with us. We are also grateful to three of our faithful docents, Eleanor Ash, Judy Casassa and Mickey Dick, who shared their knowledge of parish history and the building’s art and architecture with our visitors, as well as Jack Curtin, David Folmar, Ozy Ibhawa, and Bob Heicklen who were on hand to welcome them. After Mass and a church tour at Blessed Trinity, these WNY pilgrims continued on to the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima in Lewiston, NY. Click HERE for more photos of our guests from Orleans and Monroe County.
Work continues on the Mary Shrine on the west side of the church.
The grotto area surrounding the statue of Mary in front of the church rectory was built in 1949. Originally designed as a shrine to Our Lady of Fatima, it once included kneeling concrete statues of the children of Fatima which deteriorated and broke over the years and were eventually removed. Then, in 2009, the original concrete statue of Mary was replaced with a marble statue of the Immaculate Conception from the merged congregation of St. Gerard. The garden and landscaping surrounding the statue have suffered from neglect but now, in this one hundredth Anniversary year of Mary’s apparitions at Fatima, a donation from the Ladies Sodality of Blessed Trinity is funding a beautification project of our Marian shrine. Work began in May 2017 when a gardening volunteer from the meet-up group, Buffalo Underground, spent several hours removing vegetation that had taken over the grotto garden. In June, dead and dying trees surrounding the statue were removed, and in July the garden was weeded, replanted, and mulched by parishioners. Additional landscaping is under consideration for the fall. Click HERE to view photos of the work in progress.