August 18 – August 25, 2013
Tuesday, August 20 at 7:00 p.m. ~ School Alumni Committee Meeting in St. Charles Hall
Thursday, August 22 at 8:00 p.m ~ Bingo will be played in St. Charles Hall.
Saturday, August 24 at 8:00 p.m ~ Bingo will be played in St. Charles Hall.
We now have: Red, White & Blue; carry over Bonus Ball; and a progressive Share-the-Wealth! To check the carry over amounts and progressive numbers for this week, click HERE and visit our Facebook page.
Sunday, August 18 ~ Mass at 10 a.m. – Elizabeth Duffy (Requested by Family)
Monday, August 19 ~ St John Eudes ~ Communion Service at 11 a.m.
Tuesday, August 20 ~ St. Bernard ~ Mass at 11 a.m. – Deceased Members of Blessed Trinity Parish (Blessed Trinity Community)
Wednesday, August 21 ~ Pope St. Pius X ~ Mass at 11 a.m. – Winifred Enright (Estate)
Thursday, August 22 ~ Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary ~ NO SERVICE
Friday, August 23 ~ St. Rose of Lima ~ Mass at 11 a.m. – Virginia Saxer (Estate)
Saturday, August 24 ~ Vigil Mass at 4:30 p.m. – Carrie and Freddie Silmon (Family)
Sunday, August 25 ~ Mass at 10 a.m. – Elizabeth Dick – Birthday Remembrance (Family)
News from our Parish Community
Parish Council Elections ~ It’s time for Parish Council elections. There are four vacancies this year. You will find copies of a questionnaire in every pew, asking you to suggest someone in the parish that you feel might be a good candidate. Members of the nominating committee will take your suggestions seriously and contact the individuals you have selected to see if they would consider running for election to a three-year term on our Parish Council.
Summer in the City was a fine success. The weather was great – the music games and food (especially the desserts) were enjoyed by all. We are most grateful for the work done by Amy Johnson and Dan Korchowsky who attended all the planning meetings and coordinated our B.T. volunteers. Dan wishes to thank Elsieta Chapman, Angela Jost, Althea Porter, Sister Liz Savage, SSJ, Sister Claire Edwards, DC, Judy Casassa, Vontrese Draper, Martha Bobo and Jackie Korchowsky who helped with a variety of activities/jobs. And a word from Amy Johnson: “A BIG THANK YOU to our bakers and tent staffers. We were able to provide a tasty assortment of home baked desserts – 150 servings and all sold! I express special thanks to my team of Elseita Chapman, Althea Porter and Lucille Venezia who met last Sunday morning to cut, box and transport the baked goods to SS. Columba-Brigid. Our dessert tent was staffed by Sister Claire Edwards, Helen Roddy-Gray, Vontrese Draper and Judy Casassa who welcomed those of you who stopped by to lend a hand and socialize.” For more photos from Summer in the City, click HERE.
Project Homeless Connect ~ Sister Claire Edwards reports that we have collected just over 500 deodorants for the homeless people of our community. The deodorant will be included in gift bags that will be distributed September 5 at the 5th Annual Project Homeless Connect. Baskets for donations are at each end of the altar railing at the front of church. Thank you so much for your wonderful response!
An Invitation from Bishop Malone ~ To all couples who celebrate their 50th, 60th or 70th Anniversaries of Marriage in 2013 – You are invited to a special Mass in St. Joseph Cathedral on Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. On this day the entire Diocese of Buffalo will join those celebrating in their joy and gratitude to God, who has set them among us as a sign of His constant and faithful love. During the Mass, couples will renew their marriage vows. A reception will follow at the Adam’s Mark Hotel. In early fall we will be receiving registration information for this event.
Seeking Employment? ~ Are you or someone you know an out of work job seeker? Facing the challenge of being unemployed and working through this tough economy is tough enough. You don’t have to go it alone. Contact your Office of Family Life Ministries for your FREE packet containing practical resources, prayers, scripture support and programs designed to support you on your journey. Just call us at 716-847-2210 or email familylife [at] buffalodiocese [dot] org. Know we care.
News from our Vicariate Cluster and the Wider Community
- Mount St. Mary Academy will host its third annual Summer Music Festival on Saturday, August 24, 12 noon – 8 p.m. at Mount St. Mary Academy (3756 Delaware Avenue in Kenmore). Musical performances by: Mount St. Mary Academy Jazz Ensemble, JJ Swing and Mount St. Mary Academy Marching Band. Additional events include: car show, craft show, flea market, fashion show, pizza taste off, wine tasting, beer tent, meat raffle, food tent, bounce houses, Chivetta’s Chicken BBQ, and Theme Tray Raffles. Admission to the festival is free. (Please bring a lawn chair or blanket).
- Our Lady of Black Rock School Enrollment ~ Summer is flying by, but there’s still time to enroll your child for Pre-K (age 4) through Grade 8 in Our Lady of Black Rock School (O.L.B.R.). We are a diverse school community where great minds grow. We have dedicated teachers, small class sizes, a technology supported curriculum, and strong Catholic values. The school is located at 16 Peter Street, off of Amherst Street, in the City of Buffalo. Contact us today at (716) 873-7497 or visit our website at www.olbrschool.com to learn more.
- Congrega Society of Buffalo’s Biannual Mass in honor of the Crowned Virgin is scheduled for Saturday, September 7, at 9:00 a.m. at St. Lawrence Church, Buffalo. A meeting and breakfast will follow in the parish hall and includes a short DVD presentation and discussion entitled What Every Catholic Needs to Know about Mary: Marian Apparitions. If you are not a regular member and would like to attend, please call Mary J. D. Steinhauser at 716-656-7195 to be added to the breakfast count.
- Meals on Wheels for Western New York needs more volunteers to help feed the growing number of homebound elderly and disabled individuals in Erie County. It’s easy to volunteer and takes just 60 minutes a day. Individuals 16 years of age or older can volunteer once a month, once a week or even everyday. Meals on Wheels needs both servers and drivers. To learn more about volunteering, call 716-822-2002, ext. 21.
- Compeer for Senior Citizens ~ Become a caring friend to a senior. Compeer volunteers demonstrate that friendly encouragement and caring support can truly enrich a lonely life. So often many seniors lose many of their longstanding relationships that they have counted on for years. Family moves, friends pass away, neighbors change. Struggling with loneliness and isolation they often lack the supportive friendships that so many of us take for granted. Currently over 80 volunteers are making a huge difference, but there are also 65 seniors throughout Erie County waiting for a friend. Contact 716-883-3331 or email staff [at] compeerbuffalo [dot] org.